I had not tried all of these uses for baking soda and didn’t realize it was used for so many things. I think my most memorable use of baking soda was with our calf many years ago. When he would get bloated, I would put some baking soda into his formula. After he drank it, I would take him for a walk and pretty soon, he was all better again.
A few uses:
- Digestive Issues
- Detox Bath
- Put a box of baking soda into a bath for sunburns. (Try with other burns as well)
- 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of water for ulcer pain
- Make a paste and rub onto itchy bug bites
- Helps to balance PH
- 1-2 teaspoons in a glass of water can help with heartburn and indigestion
- Anti-fungal (this makes a great foot soak for toe nail fungus – especially with added tea tree oil) or as a paste that you can spread onto trouble areas
- Kills streptococcus bacteria
- Great as toothpaste (tooth whitener – kills germs)
- Household cleaner (oven cleaner! Mix baking soda with vinegar, spread over oven, let soak and then scrub off)
- Carpet deodorizer (I add essential oils, mix well, and then spread over carpet. I let it sit on the carpet for a few hours before vacuuming up)
- In the Journal of American Society of Nephrology, research showed with 134 patients, that taking a little bit of baking soda every day helped kidneys function a little better and prevented some patients from having to be on dialysis.
- Helps with urinary tract infections
- Helps with muscle fatigue and aching muscles
- Foot scrub / face rub (follow with moisturizer)
- Hair cleanser (condition after)
- Make a paste for canker soars. Apply 3-4 times a day.
- Grease Fires
- Scorched pots and pans
- Freshen up pet beds and pet areas
- Fresh produce soak (add 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda to water and soak fruits and veggies in it).
- Silver cleaner…? (Never tried this)
- My favorite use: pour some baking soda down a clogged drain. Pour vinegar over the top. Wait 10-15 minutes and then follow with boiling water.
- Cleaning coffee pots
- Stinky shoe deodorizer (let sit overnight)
- High Sodium (1 tsp contains about 1250 mg)
- Can raise blood pressure
- Do not use if you have edema
- Do not use if you have heart or circulatory issues, liver or kidney disease
- Don’t use if you are pregnant or nursing
- Do not use for small children
- Can increase potassium processes
- Can interfere with prescription drugs (take two hours before or after medications)
- Can interact with aspirin, herbs, supplements, and diuretics
- Can be drying
- As with any beneficial product – too much can be poisonous – causing seizures, vomiting, abdominal pain, coma and even death.
ASN – BAKING SODA: FOR COOKING, CLEANING, AND KIDNEY HEALTH?